You are already aware of the link between productivity and a neat workspace. But did you know the same rule applies to aesthetic stationery?
A person is likely to scribble away while using a pretty pen, even when they are finishing schoolwork. Cute pencils and art books can make you draw with renewed passion. Pastel washi tapes, sticky notes and paper clips allow you to organize your journal faster.
Is it any wonder there has been a rise in chic stationery shops in Singapore? Even roaming inside the store can be a boost for your sleep-deprived mind.
Walk down the path of becoming an Instagram influencer using cute stationery from these best eight stores for functional and affordable desk accessories.
|1. Tokyu Hands|
|Phone No.:||+65 6834 3755|
|Address:||181 Orchard Road, #B1, #07 Orchard Central, Singapore 238896|
Tokyu Hands is a one-stop department store and stationery shop specializing in authentic items designed in Japan. It is a subsidiary of Hands, established in 1976 in Tokyo, and capitalizes on the creativity and lifestyle of the country.
The products sold in the Singapore version of Hands sell travel goods, cookware, cosmetics, and DIY stationery material. Tokyu Hands is also famous for its service, often exceeding customers’ expectations.
- Art and office supplies
- Letter, notes, and writing products
- Wrapping paper
- Bags, cleaning supplies, and beauty items
- Card games
Why Buy From Them?
- They sell Tokyu Hands special items.
- They are open 24/7 and offer delivery from their website.
- It has Japanese merchandise you would not otherwise find in Singapore.
“Tokyu Hands is the nearest stationery shop to my office. I mostly buy merchandise from there. The staff walked me through safety tips on assembling the model I bought and even filled out the reservation form for me for upcoming figurines from the same line.”Dex
|2. Art Friend|
|Phone No.:||+65 6777 0353|
|Address:||451, #03-307 Clementi Ave 3, Singapore 120451|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Sun: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm|
Art Friend has been a stable support for creatives since 1981. Whether you are a hobbyist, a fine artist, or a graphic designer, you will find the brand and design you want.
Some brands on Art Friend’s shelves include Copic, Speedball, Plaid, Gutermann, Reeves, Manuscript, and Mabef. There are 3 outlets in Singapore located in Clementi, Bain, and Orchard. 3 more stationery stores are in Malaysia, and another in Vietnam.
- Paints, ink, and sprays
- Drawing aids
- Special effects paints
- Marker, pen, and brushes
- Paper pads, canvas, and easels
- Clay and casting
Why Buy From Them?
- You can track your orders on the Art Friend website.
- One can get huge discounts if they avail of their membership.
- Their high-quality material is suitable for architectural professionals and artists.
“I can not think of an item I would not find on Art Friend. They have duct tape, tubes, needles, fabric, and even fake blood. I might be able to run an entire theatre from the store’s supplies.”Joanna
|Phone No.:||+65 8218 3768|
|Address:||12 Little Road, #05-02 Singapore 536986|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Fri: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Sat: 12:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Cityluxe is a primarily online stationery shop with a small hideout in Tai Seng. The place hosts premium samples of notebooks, washi tapes, clutch pencils, and limited edition gift cards. You can get proof of your visit with customized rubber stamps from Cityluxe straight to your personal journal.
The central theme of Cityluxe is travel and culture. And so, you will find plenty of antiques and collections from all over the world.
Divided into the principal shop and private rooms, customers can sit, order a cup of coffee and get their work done without bright light and the ongoings of coworkers.
- Bottled ink, rollerball pen, mechanical pencil, pen clip, sharpener, and converter
- Key organizer, magnet, food tray, drinkware, and other desks add-ons
- Printing stickers, crayons, clip book, stamp storage, and glue pen
Why Buy From Them?
- They are open to collaborating with independent designers and reward them through monetary compensation, free gifts, and discount codes.
- Cityluxe recycles stationery donations to NGOs and free art therapy workshops and sessions.
- On-site services such as name engraving and calligraphy strokes on notebooks.
“They have a wide range of pens, especially if you need them to draw comic books. I bought a pen online and needed to change the nib. They were helpful and advised me which nib would be better suited.”Audrey
|4. NBC Stationery & Gifts|
|Phone No.:||+65 6336 7466|
|Address:||252 North Bridge Rd, #03-10/11/12, Singapore 179103|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Sun: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm|
Once upon a time, NBC Stationery & Gifts was a postcard company originating in Japan. The first physical outlet was in Singapore in 1983, with two shops on North Bridge Road and Victoria Street at present. The Jurong and Orchard stationery shop was closed recently.
NBC stores are large, well-lit, and never miss out on the latest trends. There is an adjacent 24-hour kiosk for whenever one needs postcard stamps.
- Stuffed toys, perfumes, and merchandise
- Tapes, notebooks, and eco-friendly bags
- Pens, markers, crayons, and sketch pens
- Keyrings, organizers, and motivational mood boards
Why Buy From Them?
- They always have the latest designs.
- They store niche stuff you will only find in their Japan branch.
- You can buy office supplies at competitive pricing from NBC.
“I personalized my parker pen from NBC. It is my favorite store for paper and overall office supplies. They have some stuff made in Taiwan, and I was impressed with the quality.”Sumi
|Phone No.:||+65 6466 4366|
|Address:||2 Handy Road, B1-11 The Cathay, Singapore, Singapore 229233|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Sun: 10:30 am – 8:30 pm|
Overjoyed is the hidden gem among fine artists, writers, doodlers, and calligraphers. The brands found in their shop consist of Shin Hanart, Escoda, Koh-I-Noor, Midori and Pebeo. Their affiliate partners feature names such as Show & Tell Studios, Art Haus, Daylight, and Artz Gem.
Along with the workshops and events they hold, Overjoyed has managed to form a community of illustrators and sculptors. You will have the opportunity to meet and learn from a diverse field of people and have tea as you exchange advice and information.
- Wood surface, paint, carving tool, and burning set
- Pencil, paper, craft foam and felt, glitter, glue, and decorative sets
- Palette, printing ink, calligraphy holder set, varnish oil, synthetic brush, acrylic paper, etc.
- Dry media, tracing paper, compass, packaging tape, pen knife, and fastener
Why Buy From Them?
- They hold cement, wood, and sketching workshops you can join at discounted rates as a customer.
- Year-round promotional deals and overseas shipping options.
- You can contact them for art supply drop-in if you are an event organizer.
“The items they sell at Overjoyed are unique and obsolete products. I am a portrait artist and this is the only store I have been to which had all the color ranges. Their paper stock is also satisfying. They even have Noodler’s items.”Jensen
|6. Krafers‘ Paradise|
|Phone No.:||+65 6884 9986|
|Address:||180 Kitchener Road, City Square Mall #04-19/20/21 Singapore 208539|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Sun: 11:00 am – 9:30 pm|
Krafters’ Paradise has been a safe haven for artists since 2008. It is also the only store licensed to sell Montana Cans inside the country.
The shop only stores high-quality art materials while keeping them inexpensive. They are also pioneers in the local art scene and have conducted their outreach programme every year starting from 2017.
The artists participating in the program me have the chance to represent Singapore internationally in festivals such as Creative world, Street Superior and Culture Cartel.
- Miyacozome dye, graphite pencils, ceramic clay, tempera, etc.
- Binder clips, ring files, staplers, pen, pencil, markers
- Wooden figures and palettes
- Craft and scrapbooking products
- Ribbon rolls, wrapping papers and a variety of brushes
Why Buy From Them?
- They create courses for artists from all industries.
- The Krafers’ Paradise Outreach Program me grants artists residency, an exhibition centre and an art studio.
- Krafters’ Paradise has staff well-versed in the art.
“Hafiz went out of his way to find the color I wanted for my window. When they did not have the shade, he mixed the colors to get it right. Even with the exemplary service, the total cost was affordable too.”David
|7. Popular Bookstore|
|Phone No.:||+65 6375 4836|
|Address:||3 Gateway Dr, #04-26/27 Westgate, Singapore 608532|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Thu: 11:00 am – 9:30 pm
Fri-Sun: 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Popular might be the most famous stationery store in Singapore, as prophesied by their choice of name. Previously a bookstore, they now sell everything a school student could search for.
Their cute product range is equally convenient and viable for adults looking to reorganize their work desks. The Popular staff have intimate knowledge of their products and explain with great patience.
- Printer, calculator and laminator
- English and Chinese books
- Previous years’ papers
- Nintendo, smart devices, and travel accessories
- Writing tools, file organizers, paper, glue and drawing bundle
Why Buy From Them?
- Popular card holders get discounts at cafes, amusement parks, retail stores, and educational institutions.
- Pop Club magazine acts as a guide for parents who want to buy stuff for their children.
- They deliver island-wide and within 4 to 5 days.
“Popular helped me all throughout my school years. Now, as a college student, I still continue to shop there. Their textbooks are cheaper than other stores. They also have an entire section for scrapbooking. “Simon
|Phone No.:||+65 9728 0215|
|Address:||107 North Bridge Road, Mall, #02-15 Funan, Singapore 179105|
|Operating Hours:||Mon-Sun: 10:00 am – 10:00 pm|
Think is for people who have a funky, distinctive preference when it comes to accessorizing the desktop. You get the impression from the setup of the shop, obvious in the geometric lines on the floor and walls.
The team members running the shop are stationery enthusiasts themselves and personally curate all the items they sell. Most of the products are sourced from Japan and Europe, featuring brands such as Kamiterior, iPlus, Yamamoto Paper, Pentel, and Watanabe.
- Bookmarks, paperclips, magnets, and staplers
- Tape, eraser, and glue
- Crayons, fountain pen, ball pen, and chalk pencil
- Bags, storage organizing blocks, clear files, and stickers
Why Buy From Them?
- Their range of fountain pens is unlike any other shop.
- The products are selected by the discerning eyes of the Japanese owner.
- Plenty of the items they host are limited editions.
“I am among the lucky people who discovered Think early into the shop’s commencement. They have rarities such as Traveler’s notebook where even soaking the paper does not ruin it. Their staff helped me immensely with the fountain pens and even gave me maintenance advice!”Yong
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is Japanese stationery in demand worldwide?
Japanese products strike the perfect balance between functionality and aesthetics.
There is a base demand for items from the country due to the popularity of anime and cute mascots. The preference is strengthened by the materials used- high-quality parts which will last years.
Even with the design choice, the country’s manufacturer invests a lot of thought into the mechanism. Auto-extending eraser, rotating lead, and the shaker are all features you will only find in Japanese pencils. There is also a strive to provide efficient solutions for manga artists and painters.
Why are we attracted to stationery items?
While digital note-taking and internet communicatory methods have become popular, there is a sense of nostalgia attached to stationery. As it is part of our muscle memory, our ability to memorize what we wrote or express ourselves improves with the traditional method.
Even with devices, writing with the Apple Pencil is better than typing away. You can sort all your creative items with binders, bullet journals, pencil holders and washi tapes.
When everything is organized, within reach, and a treat to the eye, you can focus on your task, be it writing poetry, studying or work of art.
What is a great general gift for someone who loves stationery?
People who love organizing their desktops would be happy even with printed ball pens. However, if you want to gift something unique, you can opt for:
- Quirky pen holder
- Buddha diary
- Magnetic planner
- Bulletin board
What are the popular stationery shops in Singapore?
The 8 curated shops mentioned are the best stationery source in the country.
Still, as a lover of new/fresh papers, you would want to drop by new stores every time. Check if these shops have:
- Do they sell products from around the world?
- Do they have a wide range and variety of items?
- What about their delivery policy?
- Can customers get discounts from the store?